Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Kite Runner Time Writing

1. Examine the rubric closely. What score do you deserve based on that rubric? Justify why by giving examples. 

If it was up to me, I would give myself a 5. My analysis was thinly developed, however it was on the verge of being developed. The essay contained some plot summary, however, there was some good analysis. Although the pivotal moment that was saw as the actual pivotal moment was not used, I still picked a pivotal moment and attempted to analyze it. My analysis just fell short of the bar. I understood the effect of the pivotal moment, I just didn't get the words out on the page. 

2. Read the student performance "Common errors" section. What common errors did you commit? If you were going to do this prompt over again, how would you correct these errors?

I made the mistake of using the words meaning of the work as a whole in my paper. Also I didn't just restate the prompt in my introduction, I practically wrote the entire prompt in my introduction. I didn't just throw in some of the phrases from it. I didn't use enough details. All I done was talk about the pivotal moment, not how it affected the protagonist. If I could do it over, then I would change the phrases, and reword my introduction. Also, I would try to focus on my analysis more.

3. After reading the student response examples what have you learned? Is there anything specifically you would change in your own paper?

I would change the pivotal moment that I used. I realized that my moment was pivotal, but it was not the best option. I have learned that I need to practice analyzing and not just summarizing. I also realized that I don't need to simply restate the prompt as my thesis. I need to state the prompt, but develop my own thesis. 

4. What aspect of timed writings do you feel you need the most help on? What do you suggest we do in class to help with this?

I just hate timed writing. I hate them with a passion. I can do ok picking something to write about. I just think it's the pressure of doing a timed writing. On the AP Exam I can take as much time as I want, although I know I am being timed. In class, I am being graded and it kills me. I take time to write. I have a hard time with my introduction. I hate introductions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment