Monday, March 24, 2014

Literary Response Journal From Where I left Off To The End Of The Book

Let's see. I hate how this book ended. It was ok. It was a descent ending, but I just wouldn't have wrote it that way. I didn't like that Hassan died, however, considering the events of the story it made sense. I also had this feeling like from the beginning that there were no Caldwells. Then it turned out I was right. I hated that Sohrab tried to kill himself. It made me feel so sad. Like this poor kid has been through so much already. This book was honestly a wake up call to what those people have been through. I never realized that this stuff actually went on. I knew it did, I just had never had it put so bluntly in front of my face. It's an entirely different culture. I thought it was ironic that Hassan had a harelip, which marked him for greatness. Then Amir gets a harelip fighting with Assef. I think that it is his price to pay though. I don't know if that makes any sense or not. I just feel like he is finally redeeming himself, and paying that price. It makes me think of jesus. I know that sounds crazy. Amir didn't die and Jesus did. Amir also sinned and jesus didn't. Amir is paying for his sins and the sins of his father just like jesus paid for our sins. This book also does a biblical reference to the story of david and goliath. Assef is goliath. Amir is david. At the point where the the two fight for Sohrab, I feel like this is the major turning point in the story. The dream that Amir had was a key point. Like at first he thought that Baba was wrestling a bear, but it was actually himself. This is important because the bear is like their sins. Baba had to battle his sins, and now Amir is battling his. They had to wrestle their bears. There are so many differences in the book and the movie. I'm just not even going there. I do like this book though. It is up there with Looking For Alaska and The Fault In Our Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment