Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Othello Act Five

1. At the end of this scene we witness the murder of several characters. Did this ending satisfy you? Why or why not?

Define satisfied Katie!!!!!! Was I pleased? No. Was I displeased? No. I really dislike this story though because I feel like some justice wasn't served, and like more characters died than necessary. Yet, I am glad that Cassio was proved innocent, and Iago is going to be tortured. Does that make me a cruel human being? Ahhh, who cares. He deserves it. I feel like this ending was stupid. I honestly hate this story. Like it was so messed up. I think it is a Shakespeare thing. I don't know I feel like bluhh about the ending of this story. It just is what it is, nothing more and nothing less.

2. This play is considered to be one of the greatest tragedies of all time. Why is it so tragic (avoid the answer: they all died).

It's considered tragic??? What?!?!?! It's tragic that we have to read it!!!! Who writes this kind of stuff???? Seriously. If you ask me it is not a tragedy, it is just what happens when Shakespeare was high and writing. If everybody else wants to consider it a tragedy then I guess I will write about how "tragic" it is-even though it is not tragic. I don't care if I didn't use the dash right Katie. I don't need to know how to English, just how to stick my hand up a cow's butt. If I had to pick a reason why it was tragic, I would say because of the fact that a manipulative and evil person can ruin the lives of innocent people who didn't deserve it. Iago was a jerk. He ruined the lives of countless people, whether by his own doing or as a consequence of his actions. That would be my reason for it being "tragic". 

3. What does the handkerchief symbolize?

I think the handkerchief is a symbol of love. It was Othello's first give to his lover, Desdemona. It symbolizes love to Desdemona and to Othello. Othello also uses it as a symbol for faithfulness and devotion. He believed if she did not have it then she was cheating on him. 

4. Examine Othello's last words. What do these words show us about him?

He is dumb. He is noble. Yet so dumb. He wants the world to learn from his mistakes, and he wants them to know what happened. Yet, he chose a cowards way out of life. I know I don't have much room to talk, but what I tried to do was cowardly too. He ran from his problems and the consequences of his actions rather than facing them head-on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment