Saturday, January 11, 2014

Othello Act One

1. What conflicts do you already see beginning to emerge? Choose two quotes from Act I that expose these conflicts. Explain why each quote is significant and what it reveals about the characters. 

It is already apparent that there is conflicts between Iago and The Moor. Now there are conflicts with Othello (The Moor) and his father in law. 

Barbantio: You evil thief, where have you hidden my daughter? You devil, you’ve put a spell on her! Anybody with eyes could tell you that a beautiful and happy young girl like her, who’s refused to marry all of the handsome young men of the city, wouldn’t run off with a black thing like you unless she’d been bewitched. You’re something to fear, not to love. It’s obvious to everyone that you’ve tricked her, drugged her, or kidnapped her. That’s probably what happened, so I’m arresting you.—Arrest this man as a practitioner of black magic. Grab him. If he struggles, use force!

This quote reveals Barbantio's opinions of Othello. He is upset, and it is important because it foreshadows further conflicts between the two, and conflicts with his new wife, too. 

Iago: That’s how I always do it, getting money from fools. I’d be wasting my skills dealing with an idiot like that if I couldn’t get something useful out of him. I hate the Moor, and there’s a widespread rumor that he’s slept with my wife. I’m not sure it’s true, but just the suspicion is enough for me. He thinks highly of me. That’ll help. Cassio’s a handsome man. Let’s see, how can I get his position and use him to hurt Othello at the same time? How? How? Let’s see. After a while I’ll start telling Othello that Cassio is too intimate with Desdemona. Cassio is a smooth talker and a good-looking guy, the sort of man that people would expect to be a seducer. The Moor is open and straightforward. He thinks any man who seems honest is honest. People like that are easy to manipulate. So it’s all decided. I’ve worked it out. With a little help from the devil, I’ll bring this monstrous plan to success.

This quote reveals Iago's true personality. He is a liar, and he deceives people. He is an evil person. This quote suggests further conflicts between The Moor, Cassio, Iago, and Roderigo. 


2. Create three discussion questions of your choice based on Act I

Do you think Barbantio has a right to be upset with his daughter and Othello?

Do any of the chapters of How to Read Literature Like A Professor apply to the story so far?

How do you feel about the marriage of Desdemonda and Othello? 


3. In a paragraph each, analyze the character of Othello and Iago (so far). 

Othello seems to be a noble and well mannered man. He has obviously had a rough life, yet he has still worked to make something out of himself. He is obviously well respected by the Duke, and is thought of as a highly skilled soldier. Yet, he has his flaws. He knew that Desdemonda's father would b upset with him for making her his bride, so he married her in secret. This makes him out to be rude and foolish. At the same time he is wise because he knew that he would not allow it if he asked. He seems to be a smart individual who is honest. 

Iago is a sketchy character. He is a liar and a thief. He has stolen from somebody he calls his friend. He is smart to be able to pull this off. It makes me question his true intentions. I have no respect for him. Perhaps it is a good thing he was not appointed to the position that Cassio got. He seems to be very manipulative.  

No comments:

Post a Comment