Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Othello Act Four

1. In Act 4 we learn the character of Desdemona. Choose two quotes that you believe best illustrate her character. 

DESDEMONA
Quote 1:I swear to God you’re accusing me wrongly!

Quote 2:Oh God, Iago, what can I do to win my husband back again? Please go to him, my friend. I swear I have no idea why he stopped loving me. Here I’m kneeling to swear that if I ever did anything to destroy his love for me, either by thoughts or actions, or if I ever took pleasure in anyone else, or if I never did love him, or don’t love him now—even though he tries to shake me off—then I hope I have a life of misery! Unkindness is powerful, and his unkindness may kill me, but it’ll never destroy my love. I can’t say “whore.” It makes me sick to say the word even now. I wouldn’t do the thing that would make me a whore for all the money in the world.

These two quotes illustrate her character because she is defensive, and knows that she did not have an affair on her beloved. She is determined to have her husband believe her. She is foolish though without realizing it. Nobody knows that Iago is behind all of this, but she goes to hime for help. She is desperate for her husband to know that she is not having an affair. So I admire her for being bold enough to stand up for herself, and try to convince her husband. Yet if I was her I would just be like well I don't care if you believe me or not, and if that is how you feel then we are done. 

2. How is Othello changing in Act 4? What is the effect of his public humiliation of Desdemona by slapping her?

He is becoming consumed with jealousy. He is outraged with the thoughts of cheating on him. He is becoming angry and bitter. He is no longer the calm and collected person that he was at the beginning of the play. 

3. At the end of Act 4 we get a glimpse into the private world of women. How does Shakespeare portray this world?

He portrays two women talking. Desdemona and Emilia. It is similar to two best friends talking if you ask me. They are talking about their problems, and the things going on in life. It it as Desdemona is going to bed, and Emilia is there with her. It is a private conversation with the two. He portrays it by talking about the way women think and what they say and do. He talks about how women learn form men. 

4. Analyze "The Willow Song". What is the literal meaning of this song? What does this song symbolize?

The song symbolizes pain and desperation. Not only that but it also symbolizes fear. Desdemona's fear of what is going to happen to her. The literal meaning of the song is unclear to me. I'm not really sure what it means, but I have a feeling it is not good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment